Monday, January 5, 2009

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -- Oscar Wilde

I had a plain and simple weekend. My friend Susan, just back from holidays in Spain and Italy, came across the bridge for hot fudge sundaes and career-specific advice on Saturday. Lauren and I had brunch yesterday at Volunteer Park Cafe. And James and I were able to find him a combination book bag/briefcase at Blue Bird in Ballard, completing his holiday list -- or should I say my list for him. It has been exhilarating to spend so much time with him. He is here until Wednesday late morning, and then flies back to Pittsburgh to start his next semester at Carnegie Mellon.

This morning Tracy and I settled upon two lunch hours each week to begin training for the 3 Day Walk. We can easily get 2-3 miles along the waterfront, to the Olympic Sculpture Park, including up and down Harbor Steps. Since formal training does not begin until March, this is a chance to get my mojo working early, along with the twice a week gym work with a trainer.

Have I mentioned my project for April? I am done with my current position at the end of March. I plan to fly to New York City for several meetings sometime the first week of April, then take the train south to stay along the way with old friends -- James in Pittsburgh, my sister in Princeton, Clarissa in DC (plus a few more meetings), then to Lauren in Chapel Hill, then southwest to the 40th annual New Orleans Jazz Festival with Wynton Marsalis , then on to Austin, to see dear friends. At that point, I could go on to Phoenix and more friends and family, or just fly home. I love the idea of riding the rails with my camera and no distractors, just time to truly relax via a 30 day rail pass.

No comments: