Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Lincoln Memorial.

Here is one of my favorite views of the Lincoln Memorial. Together with the Vietnam War Memorial, it is a visual icon -- each a symbol of a turbulent time in American history, each now a healing place. I am using this this photo as a placeholder until my son James can send on photos from near the Lincoln Memorial. If you had to be far back in the crowd, then this would be the monument to be near.

I received an award in 1989 from the U.S. Small Business Administration, and took James with me to Washington DC when I went for the ceremony. He must have been five or six. On the way to the airport, I had the cab driver stop at the Lincoln Memorial so he could see what I look up at every time I visit that city. I don't know whether or not he remembers his first visit to see Abraham Lincoln, or me reading the words to him of the second inaugural address, but I like to think it helped form his world view.

No comments: