Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"All that can be thought can be written." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have spent the last six months reading Emerson whenever I needed inspiration. Now I am reading a remarkable book about Emerson, called "First We Read, Then We Write" by his biographer, Robert D. Richardson.

It is helping me to fix my own words before making a talk this evening to a new organization being formed, focused on discussion around "business continuity, mentorship of younger women, and women in leadership. This is the first round table on the topic of women in leadership: how do you move from mid-level management to senior leadership in an organization?"

I have been extraordinarily privileged in my professional career, mostly because of my curiosity and a passion for doing work that is relevant to the entire organization. My own ambition has never been about making money, but rather about creating programs that make a difference.

I'm off now for a walk. At noon, I'll swim. Both efforts are forms of meditation. I'll keep refining this evening's talk while enjoying the workouts.

No comments: