Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Earth laughs in flowers." -- Emerson

I slept late this morning then set out to please myself-- the newspapers, an energetic walk, the library and some dive bomb shopping.  I found these beautiful peonies at the end of my travels.

Esther and Bill gave us a beautiful peony bush in 2006, when we had our open house renovation party.  It was killed by an early frost.  I replaced it with one from Swansons the following year, and it met the same fate this past year.  It has finally occured to me that perhaps I should plant a couple of them on the north side of the house, where the soil has different characteristics.  The house I grew up in back in Iowa  had both lilac and peony bushes, with isolated spots to read near or under them.


For those who don't know the story, here's wikipedia:  "The peony is name after Paeon, a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower."



No comments: