Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Infrastructure photographs.

Catching up still on my posts. The small marble coaster is one that I've had for years -- it speaks for itself. Today's post features the art installed in my office, mostly photographs, each representing a piece of critical infrastructure in the world as we know it.

I have so many windows that it is hard to get photos without glare or flare of the installed pieces. Here is the overall conference table wall, with other walls shown later. Below are two by twos of those images. All six are by the photographer Weston Jandacka.

External and internal views of the ruined Detroit train station, now an urban renewal project. James and I have loaned respectively from our photography collections for these two.

The Eiffel Tower, an amazing construct of steel, and the intersection of electrical lines, part of our energy infrastructure.

More: the side of a building, and an interior shot of the Seattle train station.

Next to my desk: the famous British World War II poster and another Weston photograph, this one shot at the New York Stock Exchange, at the heart of Wall Street.

Here is the other side of the office with my desk and books. The small oil near my credenza is by Pablo Schugurensky. The object on the floor in front of my desk is a Chinese three legged frog with coins in his mouth, representing good luck, an office-warming gift who faces the door during the day. When I leave, I turn the frog to face back into the office so as to keep the good luck inside. So far it seems to be working.

And finally, in a nook above the Korean chest hangs a signed David Hume Kennerly photograph of WaMu Center, a gift to me for having been part of that building's design team. Weston's work is every bit as compelling as David's, and I am honored to have both photographers' work hanging in my office. I cannot imagine having a more congenial space in which to work.

No comments: