Friday, April 4, 2008

The Mighty Psoas.


We have a name for my hip/back problem finally. I have a sprained ligament and a strained psoas tendon. I am glad to know what the problem is, because I can modify my patterns to better correct it. It will take 8-10 weeks to correct a ligament condition, and I am 3 weeks in. Both my trainer and my doctor agree that sitting is harder than walking for me. They do not feel that walking will set me back if I do the right kind of stretching before and after I walk. So I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'll go up to Mukilteo for the 4.4 mile team walk; or simply take a shot at 2.8 miles at Green Lake, a terrain I know very well and where I can always easily get myself back home if I run into problems. The challenge is a metaphor for life: to break through the fear that something worse will happen if you simply try. I have become a cautious creature, and know that I need to move back to the confidence and joy that comes from walking.

No comments: