Sunday, October 26, 2008

When I grow up, I want to be a French horn player.




I got in a nice walk around Green Lake again today, though my right hamstring is still very tight.The trees are spectacularly colorful, with little kids running through the leaves that have fallen so far.Walking is always a time I can listen to music, but I've had even more time this weekend.

Leroy and I went to the opening concert in the "Mostly Mozart" series at Benaroya Hall last night. It was splendid,featuring both Haydn and Mozart pieces. The highlight was John Cerminaro and his French horn, playing "Mozart's Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major." If ever you thought a horn could sound like a voice, this would be the piece. The acoustics in the big hall are perfect for this smaller ensemble, and for the French horn.

I have always had musicians surrounding me in this family. Cassandra is a professional soprano with the Phoenix Bach Choir and Conspirare, and her husband composes and trascribes music in his spare time. Leroy writes and transcribes music and plays trumpets and euphoniums. James is in a lull now, but played classical piano and jazz bass trombone. Grandchildren sing and play musical instruments, and one also composes music. I toyed with piano lessons a few years ago, but truly have not played or sung since high school, where the trumpet was also my instrument.

After listening last night, though, I would like to be reborn as a French horn player, with the subtlety and grace of John Cerminaro.

No comments: