Friday, December 12, 2008

Light the way.

Exercise has slipped out of my routine in the last month or so. I'd just finished negotiating a new trainer contract at my gym after a lot of soulsearching, when along came a first 2009 Kindred Spirits Training Schedule from Penny Kellam, starting with a SuperBowl walk on February 1st.

I don't think most people realize that the ideal training program for the walk takes six months. Last year, an ideal program was undercut with a couple of nasty personal injuries that took time for recovery. I hope to do a lot better in 2009.

Having a big goal helps set the sub-goals more clearly. It's been too dark at 5:30am to walk, but we should pass the winter solstice on December 21 and things will look brighter at that hour.

Tomorrow evening, we celebrate one of the truly awesome events in our area at Green Lake. The overhead artificial lights are turned off. Luminarias light the way the whole 2.8 miles around the lake. Last year, my first, we ran across musical groups singing carols as well as jugglers and mimes as we walked. If you have the time, come to Green Lake and experience one of the least commercial events you will find in the season. I'll try to take some photographs and post them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes messages come exactly when they are supposed to. Your messages have done that for me many times and it sounds like mind may have shown up at the right time for you as well.

Wish I could have been there for the luminarias tonight but the mental image will be with me for sure. I'm hoping there will be pictures soon!