Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I shall move the world." -- Archimedes

I wanted to write a bit about Jennine's progress.  It is exactly a week since she had over 8 hours of brain surgery.   First of all, she's in a great hospital.  She and Marc told me yesterday that the Cherry Hill campus of Swedish Hospital specializes in the brain and the heart.  I think she feels she has had great care.

For those of you who have never met her, Jennine is an accountant and (like many on the team) a high achiever who expects a lot of herself.  Right now, she is dealing with a couple of setbacks that are probably very common in recovery from this type of surgery.  She can't read or watch television because she still has some double vision.  When we talked yesterday, she mentioned that she helped her mother with cross word puzzles by visualizing the puzzle.  So today I took in a CD player with some books on tape today.   I hope that listening to them brings her some relief from her own thoughts.  Her family is so supportive and present, but I'm hoping they'll enjoy the tapes as well.

I have no doubt that her progress will continue.  Ramona, her mother, is keeping up her blog every day.  You can read those updates by clicking on the pointer to the right of this entry.  The newest one posted today indicates that she may be going straight home on Saturday -- but you could still visit her tomorrow at Swedish Hospital.

Jennine and Archimedes, the great classical antiquity mathmetician, have a great deal in common.  He invented the mathematics of a lever, and that is just what she is looking for right now.


No comments: