Thursday, October 22, 2009

"The only joy in the world is to begin." -- Cesare Pavese


This may sound a little extreme, but I think it's true. Life is made up of many new beginnings. Some of them are called "changes," and may include elements of fear and anxiety. Many of them are filled with joy, if we could just slow down long enough to recognize it. How hard is that, really?

Too often we substitute relief for joy, saying, "there, but for the grace of god, go I." That's just a peverse form of smugness and wrongful pride, though I am as guilty of it as anyone else.

Joy, real joy, is when you feel deep down like you've moved a big rock, like the world is your oyster, like you and the music are one. Like Beethoven's "Ode to Joy, " that fills you up to overflowing. It's not containable.

Cathy at the Santa Fe Group says that it takes six months to get past exhaustion and closure once you leave a position you've loved. I left my old job at the end of March, and so I'm seven months out right now. I don't know if it's saying goodbye to that job, or to sugar. I am sure that it's directly related to defining what I like, what I want, and then doing it.

That's JOY. It's there if you take the time to find it.

No comments: