Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rethinking exercise

In my previous post, I talked about increasing my exercise to 4-4.5 hours a week.  Sounds great, right?  And perhaps if I were retired, it might be possible.

How I thought I could train twice a week, walk two days (minimum) a week, and fill out the missing hours with one or more of three yoga classes is beyond me.

Last week my trainer was away.  I did walk three mornings, but I did not make any of the yoga classes.  My walking was off the charts, but the classes fell victim to the work I was actually doing on the streamlined version of the www.anniesearle.com website.  And the reading and preliminary writing I was doing on a presentation that is due a the end of this week.... other parts of my regular workday...overseeing contractors finishing up work on the house....and planning for my husband's birthday dinner last Friday evening.

So while I think it's good to post my intentions as a way of holding myself accountable, I will always fall short of big goals when I set them.  And that's okay.  I'll keep trying.

This week, in addition to work deadlines, I'm getting the house ready for a large party on Saturday evening.  I trained yesterday, and walked this morning, but missed my favorite yoga class last night. I'll shoot for restorative yoga tomorrow morning, but I recognize that I am doing the best I can at an especially busy time. 

Listening this morning to Springsteen ("This Train" and "Land of Hope and Dreams") and a variety of brass pieces by Canadian Brass ("Red White & Blue" album) convinced me I'm in the right place.

No comments: