Saturday, July 19, 2014

Endless summer!


Early morning light
Summer of the Hydrangeas
Every place beckons the eye
Patriotic pots of flowers



As I read a gardening article by Robin Lane Fox this morning in the Financial Times, called "American Pioneers," that looks at the impact of six US women on landscape design and photography in the early 20th century, I felt extraordinarily lucky to live in Seattle.  We have the Olmsted Brothers to thank for the mature large parks that we enjoy.  Many of us are fortunate enough to have our own spot of garden adjacent to our homes.  I've certainly photographed my own often enough.  It is a source of endless delight to my eyes and hands.


2013 dinner in back garden for Leroy and his graduate seminar

2006, after renovation of the back garden

This is the first morning in several weeks where it has not been 80 degrees or more by noon.  I hope to spend some time this afternoon trimming up things out there.  I think there is no greater sense of accomplishment than to work in your garden.

No comments: