Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ten that have stuck with me.


 My friend Tracy Kudrna challenged me (and others) to come up with the ten books that have stuck all our lives.  I read a lot, so I modified the assignment slightly to cover, in some cases, groups of books.  

Here's what I posted.

"I can't do it in single books, but here's my best attempt: 1) The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mystery books; 2) the complete works of Mahatma Gandhi; 3) the Pathfinder series of books, featuring heroines and heroes like Annie Oakley, Amelia Earhardt, Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell and Wild Bill Cody; 4) the letters, sermons and speeches of the great leader/orator Dr. Martin Luther King; 5) biographies of Eleanor Roosevelt; 6) mystery novels with a single detective in a series, like Nero Wolfe (Rex Stout), Adam Dagliesh (P.D. James) or Inspector Alleyn (Ngaio Marsh) 7) all Inspector Thomas Lynley novels by Elizabeth George; 8) the essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson; 9) the complete works of William Blake; and 10) the poems of William Butler Yeats. I love to read."

No comments: