Saturday, June 2, 2007

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it." -- Lily Tomlin

Good walk on Friday with Mary on the waterfront again, down to Myrtle Edwards Park and back, including the incline and steps at the Olympic Sculpture Park. I felt like I was walking slower and had some soreness that, unfortunately, I did not pay much attention that night.

Up early on Saturday, carefully checking new fanny pack to be sure I had everything for an 11 mile walk that started at Seward Park. Beautiful location, beautiful trails, but ran out of steam about two hours out on the four hour walk. The stretching was great, but I got behind after we started, leaving my poles behind and then having to go back and then catch back up. My friend Jenny was waiting for me, everyone else having disappeared around the bend a quarter of a mile ahead. I huffed and puffed my way around the park's circle trail, then we headed up along the west side of Lake Washington. But I did not make it all the way up to the I-90 bridge. My rhythm was off, and I had forgotten to put my phone into my fanny pack -- I began to worry that I would not be able to make it back if I did not turn around.

Going into the fourteenth week before the walk, I seem to be caught significantly under the ten mile level that I should be at by now. While the methodology is very clear, the execution sucks. My friend Susan -- who is doing a fundraiser to support my walk on the 15th -- suggested that I try walking without the sticks, that they introduce a note of complexity when I try to synchronize steps with pushes.

I hope also to not to be so hard on myself when I can't hit the training mark, to maintain the courage to be less than excellent.

No comments: