I've been collecting comments from well-intentioned bystanders for six months now, and it's time to share a few of them. They are not in any particular order of insensitivity.
1. "Oh, they must be the breast walkers...." (Edmonds downtown street last Saturday.)
2. "What kind of cancer do you have?" (None. I'm walking with and for those who do).
3. "60 miles doesn't sound like enough..." (There are variants of this comment, from "why 60 miles?" to "what's so tough about 60 miles? I do that on my bike every weekend.")
4. "I think they read your blog because you're older and they wonder if you can do it." (Hard to think of anything to say back except many folks read this blog because they are walkers too. )
5. "What about other kinds of cancer? Why don't you raise money for them too?" (I walk for all cancer survivors no matter what type. )
As Anna T. would say to all of them: "We are 3 Day Walkers. HEAR US ROAR!!!!"